Sunday, May 3, 2009

Cosmetic Dream

Having woken, I found that I was not wearing makeup.
Yet, why? Had the dream not been mine, I might have been
More eager to read it for its symbols. Had the dream not been
Mine, I might have found the dream poetic. I might have explored
The possibilities of meaning: I had a dream in which I woke up
From a dream to find I had painted my face in my sleep. Lepor!

The dreamers’ dictionaries told me I was hiding a more true identity;
Also, I may be looking to redefine my persona. What persona?
Lepor! You are as real as your fingernail. Do you know how I know
That my fingernail does indeed inhabit the sacred space? Because,
When I clip it, the nail divides into a piece and a part. One, the larger (part),
Continues to mask the pink, sensitive flesh; the other, the flying crescent (piece),
Ends up beneath the kitchen table, with dust clumps, crumbs, and shadow.

No comments:

Post a Comment